Cement tiles are a special concrete product in different colors and designs with special workmanship. Unique decorative applications are achieved by using white cement, fine aggregate, marble powder, marble pieces and pigments in the production of cement tiles. White cement plays an important role in the manufacture of cement tiles.
White cement is a product that has been preferred for more than 100 years around the world for its high strength and aesthetic appearance. The Super White Cement produced by Çimsa Cement since 1990 is preferred by cement tile manufacturers due to is special mineralogical composition, the stability of grain size in distribution and its superior whiteness. In this article, we will examine in detail the advantages of using white cement in the manufacture of cement tiles.
Figure 1. Çimsa Super White Cement
What are the Advantages of Using Super White Cement in Tile Manufacturing?
The reason that super white cement is preferred in the manufacture of cement tiles is the high percentage of C3S and C2S phases in its make-up, its optimal grain size distribution, its whiteness and stability. It is also a very hydraulically reactive binding agent. Super White has the following advantages.
1.It is Strong
Due to its high reaction speed, it is possible to pour concrete in cold weather, as it performs better than gray cements. Its initial strength is particularly high, so the concrete forms can be removed earlier.
2.It is Economic
- Compared to gray cement, similar performance is achieved using less cement due to the excellent initial and final strength.
- Rapid production is one of a cement tile manufacturer’s most important parameters. Using Super White Cement accelerates the production of cement tile. This means greater production capacity and lower costs for concrete forms.
3.It is Aesthetic
One of the most important parameters in cement tile manufacturing is that the final product must be visually flawless. It is essential to maximize the visual appeal of the texture of the selected color especially when manufacturing color tiles. The aesthetics of the product are critical for customer satisfaction. Çimsa Super White provides cement tile manufacturers with top-notch performance thanks to its perfect whiteness and its color stability. Super White Cement is produced from raw materials that are extremely pure and refined to achieve a whiteness value of at least 85% (Y – value). This makes it possible to prepare flawless blends with various pigments.
Super White is an essential product for many cement tile applications, and used in the manufacture of:
- Colored tiles
- Patterned tiles
- Thin tiles
- Wash concrete
- Colored paving stones.
4.It is Durable
Cement tiles are used both indoors and outdoors. Therefore, a high level of durability is a key parameter. Due to its unique structure, Super White Cement is classified as a low alkali cement. It minimizes the risk of alkali-aggregate reaction to ensure long-term durability. Because it is ground fine, it imparts superior properties, such as low permeability and low water absorption in cement tile products. The impermeability that it gives to cement tiles protects the tiles from freezing and thawing in outdoor applications, which means it is perfect for paving applications.
Figure 2. Terazzo Tile
What are the Demands of Tile Manufacturers?
Cement tiles are manufactured using white cement, various aggregates, pigment and water. Tile manufacturing generally includes the following steps.
- The proper amount of water is added to the dry blend.
- The mortar mixture is placed in the desired molds.
- Excess water is removed by passing the molds through a high vacuum press system.
- The tiles are removed from the molds and subjected to curing.
- An abrasive polishing step brings out the decorative aggregates.
- It is then polished to achieve a hard surface and to make it shine.
What tile manufacturers want during production
- Cement with short setting time (optimum)
- Quick removal from the molds
- Shortening the steam cure
- High initial strength.
In order to make flawless cement tiles, the surface must be free of pores and defects. To achieve this, the concrete must be properly prepared and poured. When working with white cement, the curing step must be executed carefully because the cement is reactive and high initial strength is required. As with all concrete, curing is a key parameter in the manufacture of cement tiles. Rapid loss of water from the surface must be prevented, and if necessary, the concrete should be wrapped in a moist cloth.
Cement Tile Manufacturing: What are the Benefits of Çimsa Super White Cement?
- The amount of time in the mold is significantly shorter.
- More rapid production is possible even in winter months.
- Compared to other cements, 10-30% less cement is required.
- The need for steam curing is minimized.
- Çimsa Super White Cement makes the tiles resistant to abrasion due to the high strength.
- It is possible to manufacture bright tiles with the same color due to a minimum whiteness value of 85% and excellent stability.
Çimsa Super White Cement is preferred in the manufacture of cement tiles because it is durable, aesthetic, affordable and strong. The result is that time in the mold is significantly reduced, production increases in cold weather, and efficiency is maximized by using less cement. Furthermore, the need for steam curing is reduced. Çimsa Super White offers technical, aesthetic and economic advantages when used to manufacture cement tiles.